Staff car parking – update
Following Sydney/NSW Trains announcement that it would review the number of staff car parks at stations, the Loco Division has been working with members at impacted stations to ensure any car park changes do not negatively impact workers.
See the previous story about car park changes here.
As part of the review of car parks, site visits have been held at Penrith, Blacktown, Liverpool, Campbelltown, Gosford, Woy Woy and Hornsby. The Loco Division would like to thank all the local delegates and members who provided valuable information relating to the issues specific to their areas.
Issues raised that were generic to all areas included but not limited to;
– Staff security to and from their cars
– Lack of suitable transport to and from their homes which necessitate the driving to work
– Most car parks were either inside the rail corridor or inaccessible areas for commuters
– Any car parks “reclaimed’ for commuter use would be used by residents and shoppers in the area, not commuters.
It was clearly pointed out that the original intent for staff car parks recognised the need for safe, secure parking that assisted the reliable operation of trains.
RTBU representatives met with Sydney Trains management today to discuss initial findings from the site visits, where management gave an assurance that sufficient staff car parking would be retained to enable operation of train services.
Further meetings and consultation will occur prior to any changes being made to the current car parking areas.
The process still has some time to run, and members can be assured the RTBU will continue to argue for the provision of sufficient and safe employee car parking.
Members will be kept informed of any further developments as they occur.
– See more at: http://locoexpress.com.au/staff-car-parking-update#sthash.e2XuRqVM.dpuf