The Rail Tram and Bus Union (RTBU) is a union representing workers in the transport industry. Membership of the union is open to anyone who works anywhere in light rail, rail or the public bus industry
The objective of the RTBU is to ‘Organise Workers In The Transport Industry To Protect And Build Their Rights At Work’. This is achieved by undertaking the following activities:
- organising our sector of the transport industry;
- working to continuously improve and maintain high workplace safety standards for workers and the travelling public;
- ensuring every worker is treated with dignity and respect in their workplace;
- collectively bargaining for wages and conditions that reflect the skills and contribution workers make to the transport industry and the economy;
- delivering industrial, legal and advocacy services to members;
- educating delegates and workplace activists;
- campaigning in the community; and
- consulting and working with the community about transport issues.
Working With Other Organisations To Achieve Success-A Proud History Of Leadership
The RTBU has a proud history and remains a fundamental building block of the Australian worker’s movement. The union played a pivotal role in the establishment of the NSW Trades and Labor Council (UnionsNSW) and in the formation of the national trade union organisation the Australian Council of Trade Unions (ACTU).
Transport unions and peak union bodies are working together to be successful and to effectively represent workers and their families. Together with the Maritime Union of Australia and the Transport Workers Union, the RTBU is a proud member of the Transport Unions Federation (TUF) and is an affiliate of the International Transport Workers Federation (ITF) which organises transport workers globally.