Report Back Step 3 Dispute – Guards Training – Making Announcements
Bulletin 48 –
To: RTBU NSW Trains’ Guard Members,
RTBU met with NSW Trains IR and Management on Friday 21st August 2015 as part of the Step 3 Dispute Settlement Process regarding the training that has been given to guards making announcements and the implementation of the training. The background of the issue is:
- Training – Guards that were going through the training were being informed that there is a “three strikes and you’re out” procedure. This has been interpreted to mean that if there are three (3) complaints about a guards’ announcements he/she will be facing disciplinary action.
- Unrealistic Requirements – Guards were informed that they are required to make announcements 30 – 45 seconds prior to arrival to the station, we believe that this is not practical.
- Announcement Contents – Guards are being informed that they are required to make the announcements word for word.
- Compliance – we are concerned that Standards Officers and Shift Managers will be acting in a covert manner and spying on Guards.
The above concerns were raised in a meeting with NSW Trains and as a result a number of commitments were given by NSW Trains. These were:
- As part of customer service NSW Trains engage mystery shoppers. NSW Trains committed to breakdown the results from the mystery shopper feedback to establish if there are issues regarding announcements isolated in one or more areas. This will be addressed on a case by case basis and is reliant on the results of the analysed data.
- NSW Trains will utilise a reward system for Guards for excellent customer service inclusive of announcements that they are making.
- Confirm the status of the quiet carriages on two car diesel services.
- NSW Trains to follow up with Standards Officers and Shift Managers to ensure that when they are performing their duties it is done in a transparent manner and with the correct intention such as mentoring the Guard.
- Develop a timeline to adapt to the new general instructions. The RTBU understands that this is not an open ended agreement and this is not its intention
If there are any comments or questions please contact your local delegate or the RTBU Office.
|Issued by:||Authorised by:|