Newcastle transport centre workers devastated by Govt axing of local jobs
Media Release: Wednesday September 13, 2017
The NSW Government’s axing of 71 jobs at the Newcastle based NSW Trains contact centre is just the latest example of the Berejiklian Government’s complete lack of respect for local workers.
The NSW Government announced it was closing the TrainLink office earlier this year, leaving 71 workers out of a job. The roles will be replaced by just 55 lower paid positions at Services NSW. The closure is expected in November.
Rail, Tram and Bus Union (RTBU) NSW Secretary, Alex Claassens said the move is disappointing for commuters who have relied on the centre for the past decade, and devastating for the impacted workers.
“The centre has provided an excellent service to regional rail and coach customer for more than a decade, but almost overnight the NSW Government decided to close its doors and leave the workers out in the cold,” Mr Claassens said.
“It’s a tough blow for these dedicated and experienced workers. There are only 55 positions with Service NSW up for grabs, and even if they get one of those roles, their wage packet will be significantly less than what they’re currently earning.
“The Transport Minister is always banging on about customer service, but here he is shutting down an important customer centre. This Minister has no respect for commuters or local workers at all.
“In a region like the Hunter, where unemployment rates are already very high, these job losses will not only devastate families, but also the region more broadly.
Mr Claassens said the union has been working with the local workers to provide as much assistance as possible during this difficult period.